If you have never experienced a bed bug infestation before, then you may not know what to do if you find them in your home. There is a great deal of information out there on the internet offering tips and tricks, but unfortunately, a lot of that information is at best inaccurate and, at worst, dangerous. If you do have bed bugs, the best place to get advice is from is a professional Pest Control Provider. Don't second guess the steps to rid yourself of an infestation; immediately book bed bug treatment in Knoxville.
Let's look at some of the things you should not do if you discover bed bugs in your home!
- Don't Panic: It may come as a bit of a surprise to discover that you have bed bugs, but it is important that you keep calm. They are a much more common pest than you might think, with around 1 in 5 homes experiencing them. A pest control company offering bed bug treatment in Knoxville can help you remove them with minimum fuss.
- Don't Use Garden Pesticides: Most DIY insecticides are ineffective at dealing with bed bugs because they have built up an immunity over the years. Some people have been tempted to use garden pesticides, thinking that they will be more effective. However, using outdoor products inside is going to be very dangerous and could make you and your family sick as it is not designed for indoor use. It is always best to leave it to the professionals and seek out bed bug treatment in Knoxville.
- Don't Use HomeMade Products: On a similar note to avoiding using garden pesticides, you should also give a wide berth to any homemade or custom blended products. These are potentially dangerous as they are not licensed, and they could even worsen the problem.
- Don't Use Products Without English Labeling: If you are going to use insecticides or pesticides, you need to know what you are using and how to use it safely. That means you should avoid any products that are not labeled in the English language. Not only will you not be able to understand the labeling, but it is also likely that these products are unlicensed in the United States. It is much safer to get professional bed bug treatment in Knoxville to combat your bed bug infestation.
- Don't Use Pesticides On Your Skin: If you have suffered from bed bug bites, you may be tempted to apply pesticides to your skin to deter further bites. This is absolutely not recommended as it can result in chemical burns. It also wouldn't be effective anyway.
- Don't Throw Away Your Furniture: There is a common misconception that you need to dispose of your furniture if you discover bed bugs. This is not at all necessary; in fact, it's a bad idea! Not only will you need to pay for new furniture, but you would be spreading the bedbugs elsewhere. It also doesn't mean that the bedbugs will be gone, as they could have transferred to other surfaces. When you get bed bug treatment in Knoxville, a pest control technician can also treat your furniture to rid it of the infestation.
- Don't Move Items to Another Room: If you discover bed bugs in one room, your bedroom, for example, you may be tempted to move some of your belongings to another room. However, this is simply going to make it easier for the infestation to spread to other areas of the house. They may already have made it into other rooms, but you definitely shouldn't do anything to encourage it if they haven't.
What You Should Do if You Have Bed Bugs
So, now that we know some of the things we definitely should not be doing when we discover bed bugs what about the things that you can do? The first and most important thing to do is contact a pest control provider for bed bug treatment in Knoxville! They have the experience, the knowledge, and the equipment to eradicate your infestations efficiently and effectively.
Once the appropriate treatment has been carried out, you can then take steps to reduce the risk of a repeat infestation. Ask your pest control technician for advice. Bed bugs can be carried into your home in a number of ways, so there is no way to guarantee you won't ever experience another infestation, but you can lower the chances by taking steps to make it more difficult for them to hide and keeping clutter to a minimum to make treatment more accessible.
Otis Termite & Pest Control is a full-service pest control company with a focus on outstanding service. We have been serving the East Tennessee area for over 56 years and our reputation is built on prompt and effective service. We’re good at what we do and we’re fast. We do the job right the first time – and that’s an actual guarantee!